[X4U] VPC and Win2K

Stroller MacMonster at myrealbox.com
Sun Apr 17 15:29:16 PDT 2005

On Apr 17, 2005, at 6:18 pm, Zane H. Healy wrote:

>> On Apr 17, 2005, at 5:16 pm, Andy Hannen wrote:
>>>
>>> I've been running(?) VPC with WinXP on my G4 800MHz. It's
>>> intolerably slow.
>>
>> Have you tried tweaking the performance settings in XP? I think
>> you'll find them if you right-click My Computer & have a furtle. You
>> can remove the rounded-corners of Windows, drop-shadows, animations
>> &c. I wouldn't expect XP to be too snappy on a PIII 800, so I'm not
>> surprised it's slow on your  G3.
>
> Right-Click on the desktop, and select "Properties".  Then click on
> the "Themes" tab on the "Display Properties" dialog box.  Select
> "Windows Classic" from the drop-down menu.

Is that actually the same as changing this in the Performance options?
The latter certainly does *appear* to give a lot of options.
<http://stuff.stroller.uk.eu.org/Performance.gif>

> However, the whole Pentium III 800Mhz comparison vs. G4 800Mhz isn't
> fair.

Life's not fair, either!!   ;)

> The G4 is having to emulate the PC.

That's why I said I'd expect the G3 to be less snappy than a
similarly-clocked PC.

> I'm running on a dual 2Ghz G5, and even on it WinXP seems to be
> significantly slower than on a dual Pentium II 400Mhz.

Well, I don't run emulation, so my benchmark is a similarly clocked PC.
I'd expect the G3 to be less snappy. Because it's emulating.

Stroller.