[X4U] Re: VPC and Win2K

Rod Buchanan lists at sofstats.com
Mon Apr 18 05:37:13 PDT 2005

On 4/17/05 5:50 PM, "Robert Ameeti" <Robert at Ameeti.net> wrote:

>> Also, according to some posts in microsoft's news groups allocating
>> too much memory can also slow it down.  They said 256MB is best, and
>> anything over 384MB will lead to slowness.
>
> I keep trying to track down any validity of those kinds of
> recommendations and never find anything meaningful. I do think they
> might be more tale than truth. It is all about free memory. If you
> have free memory, then you are fine to allocate it. If you don't,
> things resort to virtual memory which is not good.

According to the "authority," the more memory allocated the more overhead
involved to manage it, hence the slowdown.  I added 2GB memory to my 2x2GHz
G5 over the weekend (3.5GB total) and VPC 7/WinXP Pro still ran slow. That's
when I decided to see of there was anything on MS's news groups.  After
dropping the allocation from 512MB to 256MB it _appeared_ to be faster,
though that could be wishful thinking on my part.

--
Rod

"Politics and Poker, Politics and Poker,
Shuffle up the cards And find the joker.
  -- Sheldon Harnick and Jerry Bock, from "Fiorello"