[X4U] DVD regions code

Allan Hise allan at hise.org
Tue Apr 19 01:59:01 PDT 2005

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005, Norman Cohen wrote:

> For the original poster, I believe the program MacTheRipper.app will
> allow one to reset the region code of their DVD-ROM drive in their Mac.
> <http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22715>.

Not really (unless MacThe Ripper has been updated with strange new
features that I am unaware of). MacThe Ripper will allow you to copy a DVD
(or just parts of it) to your hard drive, in the process removing
encryption and/or modifying region codes.

It will let you use DVDs that don't work with your region code, but it
wont change the region code of your drive.

If you don't want to change region codes of your DVD drive, and don't want
(or don't have space to) copy the DVD to your hard drive, you can use VLC
to play the disc no matter what region code of the disc and drive.

Region codes are a nuisance, but not *that* hard to circumvent.

Allan