[X4U] Re: Al PB: no sound from speakers

Jim Robertson jamesrob at sonic.net
Thu Apr 21 22:07:39 PDT 2005

On 4/21/05 11:00 AM, "Jim Robertson" <jamesrob at sonic.net> wrote:

> When I plug the headphones in, the sound output preference changes
> automatically from "built-in speakers" to "headphones" and back again when I
> disconnect the headphones, but there just ISN'T any sound from the speakers.
>
> OS X 10.3.9.
>
> Any ideas? Another trip to the genius bar?

So, I went to the genius bar. The genius booted the PowerBook from an
external drive and still couldn't get any sound from the built-in speakers,
so he said I'd need to send it in.

Just now I brought it home (I need it for a business trip before I can have
it repaired), and when I booted it in a quiet room I discovered that the
startup chime IS audible, though very soft. So, I think it could still be
something in software. Perhaps I'll try resetting everything; nvram, pram,
etc.,, and see if that makes any difference.

Jim Robertson