[X4U] All-in-one question (fax autoswitch)

Jim Robertson jamesrob at sonic.net
Fri Apr 22 06:52:51 PDT 2005

I'm in the market for an all-in-one and have read good things about the
Canon MP780. However, the reviews at Amazon point out that it doesn't have
fax/voice autoswitching. I've not used an all-in-one (or even a fax machine
except on a dedicated fax line), but at home I'd plan to put the all-in-one
on my second analog line (the other number also carries my DSL). Will anyone
who calls on the second line get the fax screech a few seconds into our
conversation no matter how quickly I pick up the phone? And, if I answer the
phone and get the screech from the other end, will I have lost the
opportunity to have the MP780 see the call?

Thanks so much,

Jim Robertson