[X4U] DVD regions code

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Fri Apr 22 10:30:01 PDT 2005

On Apr 22, 2005, at 10:52 AM, Ean Kingston wrote:

>> Their antics have actually induced me to rip (though not share).
>
> I believe this is both legal and protected by copyright laws in Canada
> and
> most non-US countries. I'm not sure about the US; they have some
> strange
> copyright laws.

AFAIK, its OK. I put it in the "making a single backup" category.

>  Since I can skip the 'fbi
> warning'

Another fun (read annoying) part is when I can't even fast forward the
Interpol warnings in English, French and Spanish. Both my French and
Spanish are rusty enough that either they need to force me to watch it
longer so I can plod through it, or just let me skip it already!

> How do you fit 2 hours of movie onto a DVD-R (+R or whatever)?

As long as its not over 2 hours, I'm OK. Either way, just rip with
MacTheRipper, run the needed VOB files through MPEG Streamclip (convert
to MPEG -just changes the wrapper, not the data), then burn with Toast
(no menu). No transcoding necessary, meaning no loss in quality. If
more than 2 hours just burn some of the files onto a 2nd DVD. Having to
split into 2 DVDs is annoying, but no more so than the junk at the
beginning.

Keep in mind this strips out all the extras, including menus. I should
also mention you need to buy the MPEG2 Quicktime plugin from Apple to
do the MPEG Streamclip step. In some cases you can skip that step or
just burn the entire folder created by MacTheRipper and set it up to
remove the UOPs.

-Mike