[X4U] Default application association problem.

Preston Kutzner grdnwsl at mrichi.com
Mon Apr 25 11:05:48 PDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-19 at 18:56 -0700, John Baltutis wrote:
> On 04/19/05, Preston Kutzner <grdnwsl at mrichi.com> wrote:
> >
> > My first question is, is there any other place I should be looking to
> > change program association information within OS X?  I changed the
> > association by control-clicking a pdf file, then picking the "Open
> > With..." menu option, and making sure the box was checked to tell OS X
> > to always use the application I was choosing.
> >
> > My second question is, if there is not another place to change program
> > association information, does anyone know how to *fully* uninstall
> > Acrobat Reader 6.0?  I tried looking for an uninstaller app, a la
> > Microsoft Office Uninstaller, but I couldn't find one.
> >
> > I'm hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction even
> > on where I might find the information I'm looking for.  Thanks in
> > advance.
>
> Trash com.apple.LaunchServices.xxx.csstore file from /Library/Caches,
> restart, and see if that fixes things. You might have to reset the
> association for the pdf files.

I tried the above suggestion, but no go.  I've also removed Acrobat
Reader 6.0 from the computer altogether.  When I try to open a pdf file
in Thunderbird, it asks me whether I want to save, or open with a listed
program.  Usually, there is an option (with any other file-type) to open
with an existing program, or to choose your own program to open it with.
However, all that's listed in the list is Acrobat Reader 6.0, still,
even though it's not on the computer anymore.

Does anyone know of any other preference files I need to trash to get
Thunderbird to let go of it's association to Reader 6.0?