[X4U] importing audio CD as AIFF

Brett Conlon brett_conlon at sonymusic.com.au
Wed Apr 27 23:27:51 PDT 2005

Apart from burn defects I'd suggest the closest way to replicate your CD's
is to load it in your Mac then use Disk Utility to create a disc image of
it. Then burn it to good reputable discs at as slow a speed as you can
personally handle so that the laser has a good clean shot at writing to
the disc.

Cojcolds

Alex <lists at lexial.ca>

On Apr 27, 2005, at 21:36, Kansas Territory wrote:

> If I import as AIFF files and then burn an audio CD of these files..
> am I thus making a DUPLICATE copy ?

No. It is virtually impossible to make a duplicate (identical copy) of
an audio CD on a Mac or a PC. You can make a good (but not identical
copy) with a tool such as ExactAudioCopy (Win), and, of course, a good
drive. To my knowledge, no such tool is available on the Mac, but you
can use cdrdao, which has been ported to the Mac. You can make a
reasonably good copy with a tool capable of reading/writing in DAO
mode, such as Toast, DragonBurn, Discribe, etc. iTunes (or Finder, for
that matter) copies the tracks from an audio CD, but not its structure,
so you don't actually get a copy with iTunes (that's simplifying a bit,
but it's close enough for rock 'n' roll). Whether these distinctions
matter to you or not, that's another issue. I assume to most people
they don't.

> or is there any kind of process that happens going from an Audio CD to
> AIFF where it would experience any degradation  ?

Theoretically, no. In practice, it depends. Copying audio from an audio
CD is not a "simple" matter of just copying bits from one medium to
another. There may appear defects, ranging from small ones, which most
people don't notice, to very audible clicks caused by imperfections on
the disc surface.

<0x0192>