[X4U] importing audio CD as AIFF

Alex lists at lexial.ca
Thu Apr 28 06:56:49 PDT 2005

A few corrections:

On Apr 28, 2005, at 02:27, Brett Conlon wrote:

> [...] the closest way to replicate your CD's is to load it in your Mac
> then use Disk Utility to create a disc image of it.

That is not possible. Disk Copy (rolled into Disk Utility since Mac OS
X v10.3) could do so, but only until Mac OS X v10.2. Apple has removed
this possibility, presumably to oblige the music industry. But even
when Disk Copy had this feature, it wasn't the "closest way".

On Apr 28, 2005, at 06:44, Eugene wrote:

> [...] The only thing I've been stuck on is with multi-session CDs.
> [...]

This applies to data or various "enhanced" formats (quite a different
issue). The Red Book does not allow multi-session audio CDs.

On Apr 28, 2005, at 08:38, John Lyon wrote:

> I believe CDDB uses the number of tracks and total time to make a
> match. I've burnt CDs from MP3s, and CDDB has recognized the CD.

Actually, CDDB (or freedb for that matter) uses a "magic number" which
takes into account several items from the TOC. The magic number of a
playlist burned to CD will definitely be different from that of the
original CD; but it may be close enough for a fuzzy logic-based search
algorithm to find it, and that's what the current version of CDDB uses.

>> # I put in an AC/DC disc, but the service says it's ABBA!  Why?
>>
>> This should be extremely rare.

Gracenote is somewhat optimistic. The "magic number" depends on the
number of tracks -- the higher, the more accurate. Which means the
system works nicely for the average pop record, which has around 10
tracks; but if you're a fan of Hindustani classical music, like I am,
you have to get accustomed to getting misses quite often, because it's
common for those CDs to contain only one or two tracks.

On Apr 28, 2005, at 08:53, Kirk McElhearn wrote:

>  I think there are identifiers attached to the individual tracks.

There are no CDDB "identifiers" attached to individual tracks read from
an audio CD (even one containing CD-Text). However, if you make an
iTunes playlist of AIFF files and add tag info (performer, title,
album, etc.), iTunes will write the tag in the AIFF file.

<0x0192>