[X4U] importing audio CD as AIFF

Alex lists at lexial.ca
Thu Apr 28 11:45:48 PDT 2005

On Apr 28, 2005, at 10:56, Kirk McElhearn wrote:

> Just turn off your network connection and import a track. Go online,
> select the track, then Advanced > Get CD Track Names.

You're absolutely right (incidentally, you don't need to turn off the
network -- just turn the respective pref off in iTunes). I checked it
out, and, indeed, iTunes adds a tag (which appears to follow the ID3
format) to ripped AIFFs, and it can add CDDB info to it. Open a ripped
AIFF with a hex editor and search for "engiTunNORM" to find it. It
stores the magic number, CD length, lead-in, and track starts, and
probably other stuff I haven't figured out yet. Interestingly, it
doesn't appear to do so for WAVEs, at least on the Mac, but I'm still
digging. To use a hackneyed phrase -- cool! Thanks, Kirk.

<0x0192>