[X4U] importing audio CD as AIFF

DZ-Jay dz at caribe.net
Sat Apr 30 06:36:57 PDT 2005

On Apr 29, 2005, at 20:08, revDAVE wrote:
>> That's what I use, but being new to Macs, I gotta ask... can anybody
>> think of a downside to using Apple Lossless?  From what I understand,
>> it is just a compressed form of AIFF, and being lossless, it is able
>> be decompressed to its original bit-stream.
>

> Personally ... I would bet that many pro musicians and engineers would
> highly doubt that it is able to be decompressed to its 'original'
> bit-stream.

I agree.  Some applications, as I understand it (and I'm not sure if
iTunes falls into this category), do not actually receive the original
bit-stream as read from the disc raw, which is the problem we talked
about when trying to duplicate an audio disc, but re-sample the audio
signal that was decoded by the sound card.  So the disc is actually
read and decoded, then re-digitized back to create the audio file.  Not
much is lost during this process, nothing that is perceivable at least,
but it is not a bit-by-bit reproduction.

	dZ.