[X4U] importing audio CD as AIFF

Kirk McElhearn kirklists at wanadoo.fr
Sat Apr 30 06:59:00 PDT 2005

On Apr 30, 2005, at 3:36 PM, DZ-Jay wrote:

>> Personally ... I would bet that many pro musicians and engineers
>> would
>> highly doubt that it is able to be decompressed to its 'original'
>> bit-stream.
>>

> I agree.  Some applications, as I understand it (and I'm not sure
> if iTunes falls into this category), do not actually receive the
> original bit-stream as read from the disc raw, which is the problem
> we talked about when trying to duplicate an audio disc, but re-
> sample the audio signal that was decoded by the sound card.  So the
> disc is actually read and decoded, then re-digitized back to create
> the audio file.  Not much is lost during this process, nothing that
> is perceivable at least, but it is not a bit-by-bit reproduction.

Yes it is. Take an AIFF/WAV file, then compress it in a lossless
format, then decompress it. Use the command line tool diff; other
than possible header info (which would include the encoding/decoding
software perhaps), you'll find no difference.

Software does not resample the music; if it did, it would be playing
the music then digitizing a sound stream. It simply reads the bits
and bytes the music "file" contains.

Kirk

             Author of: How to Do Everything with Mac OS X Panther
       Kirk McElhearn | Chemin de la Lauze | 05600 Guillestre | France