[X4U] LaunchBar and Spotlight

Stroller MacMonster at myrealbox.com
Sat Apr 30 09:18:09 PDT 2005

On Apr 30, 2005, at 12:55 pm, Jim Freeman wrote:

> ...Applications are the first category of files listed, so they must
> intend for you to launch applications using Spotlight.

I don't know why they do that - it seems very odd to me, as I'd never
launch an application that way.

Spotlight seems useful to me when you have many files that are
difficult to organise, and less useful when you have a few few files
that are easy to organise. The Applications folder comes under the
latter category for me - I have all the default apps in there, and an
additional folder each for MS Office, Adobe, Games & Misc. A shortcut
in the Dock to the Applications folder makes any app trivial to find,
and searching Spotlight for any of them would take longer.

Fortunately you can change the order in which Spotlight displays
results - I have it display first emails, then contacts, calendar items
& then other documents. Although the exact order may change in the
future - I intend to move more documents from my server to my Mac to
take advantage of Spotlight - I have Spotlight return the results for
the Applications category nearly last.

Stroller.