[X4U] Re: Updating to 10.4.2: yes or no? Mixed feeelings

George Harvey gwil3 at charter.net
Mon Aug 1 17:27:51 PDT 2005

I found a small speed increase on going from 10.4.1 to 10.4.2, as
well as increased stability. Eddie Hargreaves has good advice, and I
agree with him. However, whether you should upgrade depends on what
you have to use it for. I use 10.4.2 for about 80 percent of my work,
but I found Spotlight to be serious drawback when doing many searches
during the day on disks with large numbers of files. For that I have
to go back to 10.3.9. Spotlight cannot find quite a few files I know
that I have, and that I need for continued work, but I can always
find them in 10.3.9 using the older find system.
For some work on smaller numbers of files, Spotlight is very fast,
but usually it delays things by finding too many of the wrong files
and getting a bit bogged down as a result. 10.4.2 would be a lot
better with the old find file. In other respects such as music,
pictures, e-mail, and browsing it is significantly better.

George Harvey