[X4U] MAC address vs ³ Ethernet Address ²

Craig A. Finseth fin at finseth.com
Tue Aug 2 12:39:09 PDT 2005

   So does the machine itself have a unique MAC-like id independent of
   networking capabilities? I thought each CPU had a unique number burned onto
   it? This is what I thought the MAC address was.

Nope.  It's a unique id per network interface.

You can get away without it being unique if you are willing to
engineer in some guarantees that most people can't make and that I
won't try to explain (unless you're really interested).

Craig