[X4U] Ram for G5

Scott scott-xlists at scotist.com
Tue Aug 2 18:13:19 PDT 2005

On Aug 2, 2005, at 5:28 PM, Cindy Moore wrote:

> Is there any reason to not buy generic ram for a G5? It's about
> half the cost of Apple ram.

One reason only - if you develop problems later that could possibly
be attributed to bad RAM, Apple may ask you to try reproducing the
problem w/ your third-party RAM removed. As that is a fairly simple
process, it's not really a problem.
I've asked people in the past to try removing Apple RAM too, since
under warranty it was a quicker fix to dropship a stick of RAM rather
than have them take their machine to a service provider.

The only case in which this would not be a good idea is if you are
completely opposed to opening up your machine to remove RAM, or
unable to do so physically. I doubt that is the case, if you are
contemplating purchasing RAM elsewhere.

There is 1 reason to avoid purchasing additional RAM from Apple -
length of warranty coverage. Apple RAM is covered for 1 year from
date of purchase, or if used in a machine covered by an AppleCare
Protection Plan. This gives, at most, a 3 year span of warranty
coverage. Most quality RAM purchased from reputable sellers has
lifetime coverage.

Recommendations:
Kingston & Crucial are both good. If you can get Samsung RAM, that's
what Apple uses.
I've had very good luck with RAM purchased from Coast Memory (aka
1-800-4-memory) at http://coastmemory.com/ or http://
18004memory.com/ . They have an online configurator, so you can be
sure to buy the correct RAM.

--
Scott Buntin