[X4U] Help Quick!-continuing

Scott scott-xlists at scotist.com
Tue Aug 2 18:03:57 PDT 2005

On Aug 2, 2005, at 1:09 PM, Linda wrote:

> I think David meant this for the whole list!

Don't write off the ethernet port yet. In addition to troubleshooting
possibilities I'll mention next, USB broadband modems use generally
crappy drivers, which may or may not be available for OS 9.

First: If he's been using AOL for that long, chances are at some
point in the past some AOL phone...er..person did some extensions
troubleshooting. With AOL, that usually consisted of turning off most
of the Apple extensions, including, sometimes, the ethernet drivers.

So here's the plan of attack (successful for me in hundreds of t/s
calls, usually fixed somewhere in step "B" with extensions
troubleshooting, sometimes in step D with a clean install, and rarely
extending to "E" with a hardware failure).

A. Reset the PMU. On his imac, that's done by turning the machine
off, inserting a paperclip or other pokey instrument in the reset
hole (on the side, marked by a triangle. If there are two holes, it's
the upper one). It may also be a tiny button marked by a triangle,
depending on model. Wait 10 seconds, then turn on the machine.

Check TCP/IP again. If that doesn't do it, time to do extensions
troubleshooting.

B. Extensions & prefs T/S: (You can also try trashing the tcp/ip
prefs and rebooting as a separate step, but given the symptoms, I
don't believe it is likely to be prefs, hence the combined approach:
1. Trash TCP/IP preferences (in HD:System Folder:Preferences
2. Reboot, and hold down the spacebar. When the extensions manager
comes up, what's the extension set? If it's AOLxxx, testing, or
something along those lines, they've screwed it up.
3. While in the ext. manager, check for "Apple enet" or something
similar. Is it enabled? If not, enable it and reboot. Check to see if
ethernet is recognized now.
4. If that wasn't it, continue working in the extensions manager. In
this case, switch the selected set to "Mac OS 9.2.x All" and click
"Duplicate set". Name it "Cable", or accept the default "Mac OS 9.2.x
All copy".  Click Continue. Is ethernet recognized now?.

C. If ethernet is now recognized, set the tcp/ip control panel to
Connect via ethernet, configure using DHCP (not DHCP manually), enter
a client ID only if instructed to do so by cable company. Comcast
does *not* require client ID. Close the panel, click ok to save changes.
Test w/ Internet Explorer or Netscape. Do not test w/ AOL - AOL needs
to be setup to use a Bring-Your-Own-Access connection instead of dialup.

D. If a known good extensions set (the "cable" or "9.2 all copy" set
we just made) doesn't allow the ethernet port to be recognized, even
after resetting PMU, the next step is to do a clean install
(equivalent of an OS X archive-install) of OS 9. IF that doesn't do
it, then it is a hardware problem.

E. If it's a hardware problem, the choices are to replace the logic
board, replace the machine, or try to use a USB modem, or install an
airport card and use a wireless router or airport base station. Note
that airport cards are still available from resellers or private
parties, or as a service part from an Apple Authorized Service
Provider or Apple Retail Store. They are not available as an end-user
accessory from  Apple.

In the case of  a hardware failure, the two most cost effective (and
longest lasting and most hassle-free) possibilities are to go with
airport, or consider replacement - if there is a monitor available to
use w/ a new machine, the Mac Mini would be ideal, and probably still
cheaper than a logic board replacement.

--
Scott Buntin