[X4U] Can't run 10.4.2 combo update

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Wed Aug 3 12:15:49 PDT 2005

On 08/03/05, Eddie Hargreaves <meged at earthlink.net> wrote:

> I bought one of the new iBooks. When I started it up, I used the Migration
> Assistant to move over my user account, prefs, apps, etc. from my old iBook,
> which was running 10.4.2.
>
> When I first installed Tiger on my old iBook, Dashboard widgets took up a
> lot of Resident and Virtual Memory. The 10.4.2 update rectified that
> greatly.
>
> But on my new iBook, running 10.4.2, the widgets are once again using a lot
> of memory. I figured I'd reinstall 10.4.2 using the combo update. However, I
> get a message that "This volume does not meet the requirements for this
> update." My new iBook has build 8D37 and my old iBook has build 8C46. What
> build does everyone else have for 10.4.2? And, of course, any suggestions
> for curing my ills?

The GM for 10.4.2 for the rest of us is 8C46. Since your machine came with
8D37, the 8C46 combo updater won't work for you. Your best bet is to boot
with the install CDs/DVD that came with the iBook and do an archive &
install installation, saving your user and network settings. Another option
is to call AppleCare and ask them how to reinstall-AFAIK, they'll tell to
do either the A&I install or clean install followed by the Migration
Assistant step.