[X4U] Tiger and aliases etc...

James S Jones jsjones at mac.com
Wed Aug 3 12:30:49 PDT 2005

 From this Mac, still running 10.3.9, the Network icon has the same
properties you describe (and the same as my PowerBook running 10.4.2).
It is, itself, an alias to /Network, which is a hidden directory much
like /Volumes. The alias is owned by the system, with no access
allowed, and is locked. The original has these UNIX properties:

drwxr-xr-x    1 root      wheel        512  3 Aug 12:15 Network

The only way I can see for you to make a desktop alias of the Network
icon would be to change its default ownership and permissions, which
ought (I would think) then to be set back any time you repair
permissions. Do you recall doing this at some point in the past?