[X4U] Dual G5 spontaneous rebooting

Nick Scalise nickscalise at mac.com
Fri Aug 5 10:14:57 PDT 2005

On Aug 5, 2005, at 1:51 AM, James S Jones wrote:

> panic.log is in the /Library/Logs section, not the ~/Library/Logs
> section. Of course, if you've never had a kernel panic, it may not
> be listed.
>
> The other reason a G5 could reboot, btw, is overheating (though
> I'd've thought that would normally cause a shutdown. It seems like
> that would get logged to the console, but maybe not.
>
> On Aug 4, 2005, at 8:39 PM, Nick Scalise wrote:
>
>> Yes, I am using Console. Not much in the Console log, can't see
>> any Panic log. Is Panic the proper name for the log?
>>
>> I looked in the Crash log for Thoth and Finder - the only two apps
>> open at the time and there were no entries for the time in question.

Ok, so no kernel panics then. I have read on the Apple discussion
boards that if there were over heating that there would be a 'Thermal
runaway' entry in the logs. None about that either.

The only other hint at the discussion boards was bad ram. I do have
512MB of third party RAM in there... Unfortunately I don't want to
have to survive how many days with only 512MB to see if it happens
again.

--
Nick Scalise
nickscalise at mac.com