[X4U] Firewire drives won't mount

Michael Elliott michaelelliott at mac.com
Mon Aug 8 22:26:46 PDT 2005

I'm running 10.4.2 and have 2 external firewire drive cases. I've
always disonnected them between OS updates as recommended, and should
also say that I've had this trouble before...going back long before
any of the 10.3.x updates.

I had a computer crash, and when I rebooted, I could no longer access
my external drives from my iMac G4.  The drives are not visible in
Disk Utility.  Unplugging, replugging, turning power off/on doesn't
seem to do anything.  The FW ports on my iMac are good...iSight
functions without a problem on either, and I have disconnected the
iSight during all of these permutations to eliminate what is
reportedly a persnickety peripheral.

However, when I connect the drives to the firewire port on my iBook,
the drives mount perfectly.  I ran Disk Utility on both of them, and
they checked out fine. I was able to mount/unmount/eject the drives
without difficulty.  However, they still won't show up on my iMac.

Any suggestions?

Michael