[X4U] Re: Reprise: Disappearing folders

Jon Warms jwarms at mac.com
Tue Aug 9 07:00:49 PDT 2005

On Aug 6, 2005, at 12:58:38 -0400, Bob Salsburg
<list.res at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Not as confused as you think, Jon.

Well, at least one of us is confused.

Just taking a WAG, I think you're losing track of what
volume the finder window is displaying.

>  I went to the window tool bar
> to create a new folder and the button was grayed.
> As it happened, the Delete button was also grayed.
> I closed the window and tried to reopen a new
> Window, The New Finder Window menu command
> was grayed on the File menu ... .

OK. I can only think of one reason why the new folder
button won't work. The volume currently displayed in the
finder window is unwritable. It's an read-only optical disk,
or it's a locked drive, you don't have write permissions, or
it's full.

> In Terminal, it shows in an LS, but trying to CD to it gets
> something like Directory Doesn't Exist.

This confuses me. I don't understand why you started Terminal,
but once you were there, why didn't you check the permissions?
(By the way, those commands are "ls" and "cd", not "LS" and "CD".)

Good luck.

Jon