[X4U] Which format for Music?

Jim Warthman jim.warthman at affinity-systems-inc.com
Sun Aug 14 06:36:17 PDT 2005

First, yes, I did A/B comparisons with a couple long-time favorite music
tracks, which I encoded several different ways. I could not always detect
differences, but sometimes I could. That was enough for me.

Second, I do not use the "audio circuitry" in the Airport Express. Instead,
I use its optical interface to send a digital bit stream (44.1K samples/sec.
I believe) directly to my (high-end) A/V receiver. The actual digital to
analog conversion happens there.  As I mentioned earlier, this approach
keeps my music completely digital from the original CD source material,
through the Airport Express, and into my A/V receiver - the most expensive
component in my system (the G5 aside!).

But suppose I had a different setup, and was listening to my music through a
fairly lo-fi audio system. I believe that ripping a bunch of CDs isn't
something I want to do again in a year or three, when I might invest in a
better system that discloses issues in the lossy encoding that I chose based
on my listening tests today. If I can afford the additional disk space to
support Apple Lossless Encoding, it's a bit like saving my digital photos in
RAW format. I have the best information possible, in order to take advantage
of better technology as it arrives.

Enjoy!

-- Jim