[X4U] Which format for Music?

B. Kuestner kuestner at macnews.de
Sun Aug 14 07:59:22 PDT 2005

Hi Jim,

I hope you didn't feel like you have to defend yourself.

In any way, yes, that sounds much like the audiophile who would
perceive and value the advantages of lossless encoding. I have
noticed that most other people who ask these questions overestimate
their hearing skills and expectations.

DZ-Jay pointed out that this is an Apple proprietary encoder. So
should you ever move, you will have to encode again. But then, iTunes
can transcode between supported codecs, and the conversion between
Apple Lossless and AIFF should be painless, fast and, ahem, lossless.
So not a big problem, no more hours, days and weeks of playing disk
jockey once you have everything in iTunes.

FLAC is the open source alternative, but it's not supported in
iTunes, although a plug-in project is underway. Even if it works in
iTunes, FLAC would still not be supported on the iPod if that is
important for you.

One question: Is the digital output as plug-and-play as the analog
connection? I have never thought about this option, and it makes the
AE much more interesting for me, although I haven't yet checked at
what price range amplifiers with a built-in D/A-converter start. Any
recommendations? (Similar to my preference for Apple I like to keep
things simple in the audio area as well: Not a whole lot of buttons
and lamps, just play that music and play it well.)

Thanks,

Björn