[X4U] Which format for Music?

Jim Warthman jim.warthman at affinity-systems-inc.com
Sun Aug 14 08:34:49 PDT 2005

Björn,
I suppose I was a bit defensive.  :-)  Even so, I felt that people might
like to know that the analog audio deficiencies of the Airport Express can
be removed from the equation, so to speak.

Honestly, I don't think of myself as an audiophile, and my ears are
certainly not "golden".  I don't "invest in" hundred-dollar interconnect
cables or tweaking the electronics by upgrading capacitors, etc.  :-)  I
just enjoy my music, and want to keep my options open for the future.

Yes, DZ-Jay makes interesting points regarding the proprietary-ness of ALE.I
think I won't worry about it, though. If I ever experience problems with
ALE's proprietary-ness, I'll figure out what to do. Heck, I haven't
discarded my CDs, so I suppose I could rip then again if absolutely
necessary.

Yes, the optical connection was, for me, very much plug-and-play. I have an
otherwise unused  optical input on my A/V receiver for mini-disc or DAT, and
that's where I connected my Airport Express.

I should add that I had some difficulties getting the networking side of the
Airport Express working, but that's a topic for a different thread.  :-)

Some Macs have digital optical outputs, and these could be directly
connected to an A/V receiver with suitable inputs. This arrangement could
totally remove the Airport Express from the loop.

I haven't shopped for A/V receivers for a while, but a quick google search
revealed the YAMAHA HTR5730 for $150. This entry-level A/V receiver has one
optical input, which should suffice. I'm sure other popular receiver brands
have optical inputs at similar prices.

Despite all the above, I agree that, for many people - maybe most - the
benefits of lossless encoding and keeping the digital music in its original
quality all the way to an A/V receiver is a bit extreme. But for those few
who want to retain every bit of the music on their present system or in a
future upgrade (and you know who you are! :-) I feel my solution has merit.

Enjoy!

-- Jim