[X4U] OS X on Rev. D iMac - moving user folders

Craig A. Finseth fin at finseth.com
Fri Aug 26 09:02:06 PDT 2005

   available space on the smaller partition. Anyone know a viable way to have
   the kids' home
   directories reside on the 2nd, larger partition instead?  I've set up my
   user as the admin, so I don't
   care if my home directory stays on the 1st partition. I just need to get
   the kids' stuff over to the
   larger partition.

   Any instructions, suggestions or links to info would be greatly appreciated.
   Thanks,

Pretty easy, but you'll need to use Terminal.

Let's say the kid's short user name is "KID" and the second volume is
named "VOL2".  You'll need to bring up Terminal and do:

sudo csh		(or any other shell)
Password: <enter admin password>
cd /Volumes/VOL2	(sets your working dir to the 2nd volume)
cp -pr /Users/KID .	(copies all of the kid's files...may take a while)

Now, take a minute with the finder to verify that the kid's files are
on the second volume.  If satisfied, continue by doing:

cd /Users		(sets your working directory)
mv KID KID-save		(rename the stuff for a safety backup)
ln -s /Volumes/VOL2/KID	(set up a symbolic link)

Now, log out and log in as KID.  Everything should be fine.  When
you're really satsified, move the:

	/Users/KID-save

safety backup to the trash.   You're done.

For the second kid, repeat with the short user name of the second kid.

Craig