[X4U] connecting to hotel wireless network

Jim Warthman jim.warthman at affinity-systems-inc.com
Sun Aug 28 08:31:22 PDT 2005

I just got back from a trip, and had a similar experience in the hotel.

For me, the solution was to go into the Network control panel, and create a
new location, with only Airport checked under "Port Configurations".  (The
new "location" has the advantage that he can just switch back to "Home" or
whatever location later, and know that he hasn't modified it for the hotel.

Then, in the TCP tab, I set Configure IPv4 for "Using DHCP". Last but not
least, I had to provide addresses to my DNS Servers, because for some reason
the hotel's DHCP server did not. Your Father can probably use the same DNS
Server addresses that work for him at home - they don't need to be specific
to the hotel.

After getting all the settings right, and "applying them", I needed to turn
Airport off then on, which I could do from the Airport control in the menu
bar.

Perhaps most important, I needed to open a new web page in order to get the
hotel's "login screen" to display. I didn't need to provide any username or
password, just agree to their terms. Then, voila, I was online!

Hope this helps.

Enjoy!

-- Jim