[X4U] Mail downloading erratic

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Wed Aug 31 05:45:05 PDT 2005

On Aug 30, 2005, at 10:44 pm, Michel Treisman wrote:

>> Try going to the "Mailbox" menu item & choosing "Rebuild".
>
> Thanks for the info. I have rebuilt the IMAP mailbox, now I will have
> to see whether the erratic difficulty in seeing what mail is available
> on the server has been cured.
>
>> If this
>> doesn't work, create a new IMAP account with the same server settings
>> as your original one, then delete the original. This is much faster if
>> you're on the same LAN as the server.
>
> I tried this but as I was entering the data, Mail noted that this was
> the same as on my pre-existing account and wouldn't let me create the
> new one.  Also I am worried I might lose my stored mail if I delete an
> account.

Really? I'm sure I did this recently & was sure the only requirement
was to give the account a different "name" - the name is unimportant,
of course, as long as the server & user names are the same. In that
case, tho', delete the account first & add it again - you won't lose
any mail on the server by deleteing the account; with IMAP the server
acts as "master" & the new account will just sync up to it.

Stroller.