[X4U] advice about suspicious disk

Xavier Noria fxn at hashref.com
Thu Dec 1 02:13:09 PST 2005

I am not experienced in disk issues, so I would like to explain some
suspicious signals to ask for your advice.

Before I installed the last security update I run "Repair Disk" from
Tiger's DVD and the process ended with a message in red saying that
some problems were found, but couldn't be fixed. No traces with
messages related to the actual problems were seen.

I rebooted in single user mode to run fsck -fy and the result is a
clean trace finishing in "The volume Macintosh HD appears to be OK".
How come?

Back to the GUI, "Repair Permissions" appears to fix some bad
permissions, but rerunning it three times we get the same bad
permissions reports (and the same message claiming that they have
been repaired, which a subsequent run disproves).

What do you think? Should I buy DiskWarrior? Can I try something before?

-- fxn