[X4U] 3 network questions

Philip J Robar pjrobar at areyoureallythatstupid.org
Thu Dec 1 14:33:11 PST 2005

> On Dec 1, 2005, at 8:55 AM, Colt Freeman wrote:
>
> Question 1, I have an http server at my school that windows users
> can get to
> by typing, http://yourmomatlu I however had to ping it and use
> 10.13.16.24

Let me try again. While Charles and Stroller's solutions will work.
It has the draw back that it will break if the IP addresses for the
machines in /etc/hosts ever change. A better way to do this is to use
DNS if you can.

Post a message which says whether or not you and the Windows users
get your network configurations via DHCP and include in the message
the contents of your /etc/resolv.conf. Also include the contents, if
any, of the Search Domains field of the TCP/IP tab of the Network
System Perferences panel.

> Question 2, on a windows box I can ping servers called, one, two,
> and others
> just by typing 'ping one' in the command window. (They are internal
> servers)
> How do I do this on Mac?

Are you asking how to do a ping on a Mac or how to ping machines
using only their base name, e.g. "one", as opposed to using a fully
qualified name, as in "one.foo.com"?

> Question 3, How do I access my own computer from another one on
> campus,

Again what do you mean by access? Are you asking what name should you
use?

> for some reason when I go into sharing in system prefs click
> personal file
> sharing it tells me that I can access my computer at afp://
> jamielaptop/ My
> computer name is Ideal, no where is jamielaptop entered in my
> computer. So
> I'm assuming that I'm getting an IP from some other students
> computer, What
> am I doing wrong? Is there a way to easily get to my computer from
> windows
> AND mac boxes from around the campus?

So it says "Ideal" in the Computer Name field of the Sharing
preferences panel? What is the contents of the Network Configuration
section of /etc/hostconfig? What does "hostname" typed in a terminal
say?

Phil