[X4U] 3 network questions

Colt Freeman cfreeman at liberty.edu
Thu Dec 1 16:19:37 PST 2005

Sir,

>> On Dec 1, 2005, at 8:55 AM, Colt Freeman wrote:
>>
>> Question 1, I have an http server at my school that windows users
>> can get to
>> by typing, http://yourmomatlu I however had to ping it and use
>> 10.13.16.24
>
> Let me try again. While Charles and Stroller's solutions will work.
> It has the draw back that it will break if the IP addresses for the
> machines in /etc/hosts ever change. A better way to do this is to use
> DNS if you can.
>
> Post a message which says whether or not you and the Windows users
> get your network configurations via DHCP and include in the message
> the contents of your /etc/resolv.conf. Also include the contents, if
> any, of the Search Domains field of the TCP/IP tab of the Network
> System Perferences panel.
The IP's have not changed all year, but if a better solution is to be had
bring it on.

I do configure via DHCP

Resolve.conf

domain liberty.edu
nameserver 10.50.254.82
nameserver 10.50.254.35

I don't have anything under search domains, I do however have a router ip
number, which I'm assuming is the switches sitting next to me for the entire
dorm.

>> Question 2, on a windows box I can ping servers called, one, two,
>> and others
>> just by typing 'ping one' in the command window. (They are internal
>> servers)
>> How do I do this on Mac?
>
> Are you asking how to do a ping on a Mac or how to ping machines
> using only their base name, e.g. "one", as opposed to using a fully
> qualified name, as in "one.foo.com"?

They are not full domains like a .com or a .edu it's an internal to my
campus computer, one is the entire address, ie on Windows I go to start run
and type \\one to access it's files. On Mac I need to enter the ip address
in connect to server.

>> Question 3, How do I access my own computer from another one on
>> campus,
>
> Again what do you mean by access? Are you asking what name should you
> use?

Access to my internal files, I have one user on my system specifically to
access its data from the rest of the campus, but for some reason I can't
access it from outside my dorm, while windows boxes can be access through
remote pc from anywhere on campus.

>> for some reason when I go into sharing in system prefs click
>> personal file
>> sharing it tells me that I can access my computer at afp://
>> jamielaptop/ My
>> computer name is Ideal, no where is jamielaptop entered in my
>> computer. So
>> I'm assuming that I'm getting an IP from some other students
>> computer, What
>> am I doing wrong? Is there a way to easily get to my computer from
>> windows
>> AND mac boxes from around the campus?
>
> So it says "Ideal" in the Computer Name field of the Sharing
> preferences panel? What is the contents of the Network Configuration
> section of /etc/hostconfig? What does "hostname" typed in a terminal
> say?

Hostname is now crvp, which is another computer that I resolve to sometimes,
I did a reboot for another reason and when I came back I no longer am
hostnamed jamielaptop I'm now crvp.

Thanks,
-Colt