[X4U] Disk Utility Problem...

Terence Cozad tcozad at covad.net
Sat Dec 3 12:30:22 PST 2005

I believe that the problem is that your two partitions are still on the same
physical hard drive, just logical partitions. Disk Utility has a hard time
doing that as it wants to unmount the disk and not the partition.
If you want to use Disk Utility you will have to boot from the CD.
You can do a repair with either DiskWarrior or TechTool Pro without
rebooting from the CD and repair the other.
Or, you can install a second hard drive and put the different operating
systems on the different HD's.
Terry

On 12/3/05 1:56 PM, "revDAVE" <coolcat at hosting4days.com> wrote:

> I have a small disk utility problem.
>
>  I have 2 systems on separate partitions
> -  partition 1 = 10.4.3
> -  partition 2 =  Panther 10.3.9
>  I want to keep this set up like this for now.
>

> -  from  Tiger - using partition 1 - I am unable to click the button =
> repair disk for partition 2
>
>  error = " repairing disk failed with the error - could not unmount disk"
>
>  I have a feeling that somehow there must be some alias related links that
> are somehow active between the two partitions ( read below...)
>
> -  I know that I can boot up with the installer disk - and run repair disk
> from there -  But I would like to fix this error somehow...
>
> * Question: How can I fix this error? ( an absolute last resort would be to
> reinstall a clean copy ... Only if all else fails...)
>

> * history information: originally - I had Panther 10.3.9 on partition one
> and did a carbon copy cloner to partition 2 ( As a backup). Then - I
> upgraded partition one to the latest tiger 10.4.3
>
> --
> Thanks - RevDave
> CoolCat at hosting4days.com
> [db-lists]

Ride the wave of the future!
Set your future for you and your family!

Ask me for details on how to make a significant and permanent income, part
time. Quixtar is now the fifth busiest site on the Internet and making a
profit!

<http://www.gboalliance.com/>
<http://www.quixtar.com>

Terence Cozad, Psy.D.