[X4U] Getting spotlight to index where it usually doesn't

Kansas Territory kansast at mac.com
Sun Dec 4 13:44:59 PST 2005

On Dec 4, 2005, at 10:25 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> Howdy, the command
>
> mdimport -f ~/Library/Application\ Support/Logs
>
> in Terminal should do the job. You might also want to try
> SpotlightIndexer, especially if you are Terminal fearful. In either
> case this is a one time thing. If the contents of that directory
> changes rapidly this won't help much. I use this for indexing
> directories that don't change rapidly.
>
> Since Spotlight is a young feature I suspect we'll see an Add Tab
> (like the Privacy Tab) in a future OS release.
> Good Luck,

I've tried this mdimport command on the folder in question.
It appears to be indexing the names of the files but not the contents
of the files.

the files in question end in both .sessions   and other files end
in .xhtml

the logs I'm speaking of are from an application called "Fire"  and
these are logs or transcripts of IM messages.

it appears there's no easy way to tell Spotlight to index the
contents of these files.   Like a plug-in of some kind has to be
written by the makers of Fire ? or something so that Spotlight knows
what to do with these files ?

Kansas