[X4U] Re: Passwords in Keychains (Keylogger info)

Ted Burton egburton at cableone.net
Sun Dec 4 17:25:09 PST 2005

At 2:21 PM -0600 on 12/4/05, Linda spoke about Re: [X4U] Re:
Passwords in Keychains (Keylogger info) thusly:

>I don't know whether all of these are alive and well for *all* flavors of OS
>X, but I wouldn't go so far as to say "no one has found one for OS X yet".

I come late to this party, but can't help commenting. I have had
conversations like this with attorneys, who as a class are more
concerned about confidentiality than your ordinary bear.

Go into your basement. Build a lead shielded room with soundproofing
and all the whistles bells and gongs. Use the CIA standard for secure
rooms in embassies. Now that costs a whole lot of money.

Or reflect on the fact that few people in the world are really
interested in what's on your computer. If you are really dealing with
something that sensitive, use a typewriter and a courier.

There has been one serious breach of security with a computer I know
about for certain. Someone broke into an office and stole the
computer. They stole a particular computer out of many in the office.
Now they could tinker with it to their heart's content as slowly or
as quickly as their needs and talents permitted.

Burglary is less expensive than high tech.

I don't worry about it that much. Some script kiddie wouldn't know
what he had. No one I am dealing with has that degree of need and
expertise.

I used to deal with people who were fussing about this project or
another and whether they had ruled out all risk -- and I would ask,
"Is there a plaintiff?" That is, is there anyone who cares? anyone to
exploit  a risk -- or is it all academic and of no practical concern?