[X4U] Setting up Netgear DG834G problem

Michel Treisman treisman at psy.ox.ac.uk
Tue Dec 6 14:51:35 PST 2005

Hi!
   I have replaced my Speedtouch router with a Netgear DG834G
Wireless ADSL Firewall Router, in order that I can get online
wirelessly with my AlBook.  And it works. Except for one thing - it
works only when the Security Option I choose is  'Disable'.
The problem  seems to be that the Netgear interface, and internet
Connect  (Mac OS X 10.4.3)  don't seem to offer compatible security
options.

Netgear offers three options:

WEP (Wired equivalent privacy)
WPA-PSK (Wifi protected access preshared key)
WPA-802.1x

And Internet Connect offers:

WEP Password
WEP 40/128-bit hex
WEP 40/128-bit ASCII
LEAP
WPA Personal
WPA Enterprise
WPA2 Personal
WPA2 Enterprise
802.1x WEP

I wanted to use WPA and I tried pairing up WPA-PSK from Netgear with
WPA Personal from Internet Connect, but the wi-fi connection stops
working when I do this, and I have to go back to no security, to get
online again.

Does anyone know what I should be pairing up here?

Mike