[X4U] Re: Parental control software for Mac?

Michael Peterson mapeterson42 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 09:46:02 PST 2005

Aieie Karumba.

So let's call this thread what it is.  Judgemental.

I spy on my kids.  That's assuming we can agree that spying is keeping
an eye on them when they have no idea I'm doing it (after the
percentage fiasco that showed up on the list not that long ago it's
questionable).  I believe I could also safely call it observing, but
spying sounds dirtier so let's stick with that.

(I'm going off of this definition: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=spy)

While spying I've caught my kid(s) hiding pop cans under their bed
after they went and got pop when I told them they couldn't have one.
I've caught them sneaking downstairs when they were supposed to be
asleep.  I've caught them picking their nose (occasionally I'll tease
them about it, usually I'll just let it go (ironically enough I just
caught one of them doing it right now :p )).  There's plenty of other
things I've caught them doing good and bad.

Would I install keylogging or "spy" software on my kids' computers?
No, but I also don't think my kids at their ages need their own
computers, so it really doesn't matter.  But do I think it's wrong for
some other parent to install it on there kid's machine if they feel
that's the best way to know what's going on on their kid's computer.
No.

As a parent, I've been judged because people don't feel I keep a close
enough eye on my kids and I've been judged saying that I keep too
close of an eye on my kids.  And if you ask me (not that you did),
there are kids that are screwed up because of not enough spying just
as there are kids who are screwed up by too much.

BTW It doesn't really matter, but I think if you go back and reread
it, the original poster wasn't even asking for herself, but maybe I
was reading too much into that.