[X4U] Re: Parental control software for Mac?

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Sat Dec 10 03:46:25 PST 2005

On Dec 9, 2005, at 11:58 pm, TjL wrote:
> Spying is spying regardless of frequency or reasoning.
>
> I'm not arguing against your (or the OP's) freedom to do this, but
> let's
> call it what it is.

I find this a very intriguing subject... I've met (online & r/l) a
number of girls who like to be tied up in the bedroom, something that I
find to be a fairly normal & healthy activity if practised by
consenting adults. In the experience of many perverts that I've
discussed this with such fantasies are quite strongly compelling, often
manifest themselves during teenager years (at an age when sexual
awareness is messily awakening in all kids) and can lead to feelings of
confusion, guilt &/or denial.

I've met women in their 30s & 40s who are unhappily married because
they've suppressed these desires (or for whatever reason because they
haven't been able to act them out with their husband) and I've met
quite sensible young ladies (now in their twenties) who at 15 hadn't
wanted a regular boyfriend, but instead went online to read dirty
stories & who became aware of safe practices through their consequent
exposure to the BDSM community.

Now, if you think that spanking your consenting husband / wife /
boyfriend / girlfriend is sick, unnatural or abhorrent then in response
to my statements above you'll probably approve of content filtering
&/or "spying", but assuming you just want your kids to be safe, sane &
healthy, do you REALLY want to confront this in your teenage daughter?
If she is kinky (and internet-savvy) she'll almost certainly be reading
about it.

I assume here that you wouldn't want to know what your twenty-something
daughter gets up to in the bedroom with the nice young man she brought
home from college, so presumably your interest is that your younger
kids should be physically & emotionally safe. Their physical security
you can protect by knowing where they're going, who they're going with,
making sure that you collect them from pop concerts (or whatever
entertainments teenagers attend these days), and so on, but their
emotional security you won't protect by creating a garden wall that can
be breached the moment they reach the age of consent or leave home for
college.

I'm not an expert on parenting (and am able to say this without kids of
my own & safe in the knowledge that I'll never have any) but it seems
to me that you want to foster your kids' emotional growth in a safe
environment - spying on them will not protect that in the same way that
a good relationship with them will. I'm not saying you need to discuss
this stuff with them, just make sure they know they're safe & loved &
that they can talk to you if they need to - spying (and you WILL get
caught if you try to hide it) will surely alienate them.

I see that the way I've approached this subject is probably a
reflection upon the single-trackedness of my mind, but spying on your
kids won't protect your six year old from accidentally viewing porn
sites - it's clearly something that's only useful for restricting their
active pursuits on the internet. Spying software won't prevent them
committing credit-card fraud or downloading copyright MP3s, because
those activities suggest they're more clued-up than you - a technical
kid can boot their computer from a Knoppix LiveCD, and you quench P2P
at the firewall.

Writing this reminds me of a thread a while back on a UK newsgroup
which was following the prosecution of a teacher who had slept with one
of her pupils. She was clearly guilty of unprofessionalism and legally
of abusing a position of trust & responsibility (duty of care?) but
one poster pointed out, "If it were my lad I'd say `well done, mate`,
but if one of my daughter's teachers slept with her I'd want to kill
the bastard". In the same way customers of mine have laughed about £30
phonecalls run up by their teenage sons on premium rate numbers (for
dirty talk or porn sites) but a friend who is the father of teenage
daughters, a very technical guy who uses content filtering, just freaks
out when I flippantly suggest that they might not actually want or need
to be protected.

If you're considering these technologies, here's one more thing to mess
your head up: almost all the girls I've met who like bondage had
protective fathers, and (to a greater extent than average, I feel) were
Daddy's little girl, or his "princess".

Stroller.