[X4U] More - Parental control software for Mac?

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Sat Dec 10 11:00:24 PST 2005

On Dec 10, 2005, at 6:27 pm, Brenda Mitchell wrote:

> Spector Soft provides "spyware" that will work on OS X, however, the
> automatic e-mail reporting features do not work...
>
> The software is fully invisible and the data file is kept at
> "usr/local/.spsnaps". Unfortunately, I am not proficient at Unix to be
> able to access, use, e-mail, etc. this data file.

It wouldn't be hard to learn how to do this in Unix.

There are plenty of tutorials on the net on setting up Postfix on OS X,
then you would only need to set a cron job (`man 5 crontab`) to
`uuencode /usr/local/.spsnaps | sendmail address at isp.net`. I'd
personally wrap the attachment in MIME headers, but you don't need to.

2gig is a lot to be emailing on a regular basis, of course, so I don't
know if this is really a solution, or whether you could safely delete
the datafile. But your issue with Spector Soft is easily worked-around,
so shouldn't be an objection (I'll even shell in & do the configuration
for you, if you like, at my usual hourly rates).

Stroller.