[X4U] Mac mini as an Internet Gateway.

Robert Tillyard rob2 at atvetsystems.com
Wed Dec 14 05:07:26 PST 2005

I'm planning on using Mac OS X Server 10.4 on a Mac mini to handle e-
mail/web proxy for a group of computers (Mac and Windows). Our ISP
gives us a router with a fixed public IP Address.

I'm currently using a UNIX box with two network cards to do this, one
card has the public IP address and the other is our internal network.

Is it feasible to so this on a Mac mini with a single ethernet port?
I'm wondering if I can use ifconfig to 'alias' the external IP
address to the same ethernet port that has our internal address. I
know it would be better to have two network cards but I don't have a
G5 or XServe spare to do this with.

Thanks, regards, Rob.