[X4U] Mac mini as an Internet Gateway.

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Wed Dec 14 08:04:06 PST 2005

On Dec 14, 2005, at 1:07 pm, Robert Tillyard wrote:

> I'm planning on using Mac OS X Server 10.4 on a Mac mini to handle
> e-mail/web proxy for a group of computers (Mac and Windows). Our ISP
> gives us a router with a fixed public IP Address.
>
> I'm currently using a UNIX box with two network cards to do this, one
> card has the public IP address and the other is our internal network.
>
> Is it feasible to so this on a Mac mini with a single ethernet port?
> I'm wondering if I can use ifconfig to 'alias' the external IP address
> to the same ethernet port that has our internal address. I know it
> would be better to have two network cards but I don't have a G5 or
> XServe spare to do this with.

I'm not sure what you're trying to do here...

If you want to use the Mac Mini as a (NAT) router then it won't work. I
looked into this fairly extensively - admittedly under Linux rather
than Mac OS X, but it shouldn't make any difference - trying to route
through a single physical interface causes packet collisions and
slowdowns & all manner of Bad Things. It might work _extremely slowly_
but people who know far more than me report that it's such a terrible
idea you shouldn't even try - maybe you can find a USB Ethernet adaptor
with Mac drivers instead.

On the other hand, if you just want to have a little web / email server
that has two IP addresses then this is no problem at all. You don't
even have to use `ifconfig` - just go into System Preferences > Network
and choose "Show: Network Port Configurations" from the dropdown (10.3
here); add a new configuration called "Built-on Ethernet - wibble" and
assign it the port "Built-in Ethernet". You will find you're able to
check both configurations to make them simultaneously active, and can
configure each one separately as normal.

Stroller.