[X4U] Mac mini as an Internet Gateway.

Craig A. Finseth fin at finseth.com
Wed Dec 14 08:21:13 PST 2005

   > Is it feasible to so this on a Mac mini with a single ethernet port?
   > I'm wondering if I can use ifconfig to 'alias' the external IP address
   > to the same ethernet port that has our internal address. I know it
   > would be better to have two network cards but I don't have a G5 or
   > XServe spare to do this with.
   I'm not sure what you're trying to do here...
   If you want to use the Mac Mini as a (NAT) router then it won't work. I
   looked into this fairly extensively - admittedly under Linux rather
   than Mac OS X, but it shouldn't make any difference - trying to route
   through a single physical interface causes packet collisions and
   slowdowns & all manner of Bad Things. It might work _extremely slowly_

It really depends on the load and various network speeds involved.

If you've got a DSL line that tops out at a megabit and the Mini is
hooked up at 100 Mbps, I don't see a problem.

It also depends on the application load.

The best thing is to be much more clear and detailed in your question.

Craig