[X4U] Mac mini as an Internet Gateway.

Ted Burton egburton at cableone.net
Wed Dec 14 17:39:33 PST 2005

At 1:07 PM +0000 on 12/14/05, Robert Tillyard
spoke about [X4U] Mac mini as an Internet
Gateway. thusly:

>Is it feasible to so this on a Mac mini with a
>single ethernet port? I'm wondering if I can use
>ifconfig to 'alias' the external IP address to
>the same ethernet port that has our internal
>address. I know it would be better to have two
>network cards but I don't have a G5 or XServe
>spare todo this with.

Yes. I have run an inside server with one
Ethernet port, but as I had it set up the router
handled the NAT, not the computer. The server was
connected to the router as were all the other
boxes in those places. In the larger shop we had
switches -- for that matter here at the mediation
SOHO I have a router and multiple cables into it.
I no longer have an in-house server because
cableone.net refuses to provide an MX20 for an
in-house MX10. So I let them provide both.

When I did this in each of two earlier
incarnations of mine, figuratively speaking of
course, the equivalent to the mini had an inside
IP number which I assigned manually, and it
functioned as a server of files and a mail server
running Eudora Internet Mail Server.  I
configured the router to pass incoming e-mail to
that inside computer by the fixed IP number, and
configured EIMS to send via the router. Other
computers in these shops were told to use the
inside IP number for the server as their mail
server.

With two Ethernet cards in a Unix box you were in
essence having a second NAT after the router did
NAT.

If you want to do NAT twice, you can always get
IPNetRouterX and run it on the mini to do a 192
to 10 or something NÅT.