[X4U] Powerbook question

Thomas Bulat tombulat at comcast.net
Sat Dec 17 13:18:40 PST 2005

>I've inherited a G3 Powerbook in fine physical condition - it's a firewire
>model with the semi-transparent keyboard. Lovely piece of kit, arguably as
>elegant as the current Powerbooks. Two problems: firstly it won't start up
>and secondly it has a zip drive instead of a cd drive. My two questions are
>- if I get it repaired, will I be able to install OSX on it by doing
>target-disk mode from my Albook?
>- will OSX run serviceably on the machine or will it be painfully slow?
>If the answer's positive on both these counts I'll go ahead and get it
>fixed.

Hi Colin,
I used to run OS X.3 on my Lombard which I think is the model preceeding
yours.

Max out the RAM and the more Drive space the better. I increased my
drive to 30-40 Gigs.

Two thing happened to me with regard to installing OS X on it.

1) I ran into a weird problem when I installed X.2 which was related to
a faulty processor which Apple was aware of and fixed for free. Thanks Apple.

2) To install OS X.3 I had to remove the add'l RAM chip which the OS
didn't like during the installation, but after installing I could then
put the chip back and things worked fine. Different!

Good luck!

So long for now, TOM