[X4U] Re: Virtual PC question

mac2 mac2 at oryx.cc
Mon Dec 19 15:03:43 PST 2005

Thanks for your reply TjL

Lists wrote:

> On Dec 18, 2005, at 12:47 PM, Jerry K wrote:
>
>> As I am going to get a new system with a PowerPC chip, I believe  that
>> Virtual PC is my "Plan B" to have a laptop that I can share  between
>> Mac OS X and Solaris 10 x86.
>

> Ugh.  It'd be better to buy a cheap laptop off eBay for Solaris.

I'm not going to carry around 2 laptops when I'm on client sites.  And I need
Mac OS X + assorted OS X applications.

>> My question is, is there anyone already doing this that can provide
>> any hints or helpful tips?  I already own an old copy of Virtual PC
>> 6.x that I never really used.  Should I try to use this, or will I  be
>> better off with the new Virtual PC 7.x from micro$oft???
>

> AFAICT there was very little in VirtualPC besides the fact that it  runs
> on a G5 (which isn't an issue to you with a Powerbook).
>
> My guess is that Solaris would run just as slowly in VPC7 as VPC6.
> Most of the speed enhancements (I believe) take place in the "extras"
> pack which Microsoft bundles with VirtualPC.
>
> Oh, and as much as this will shock you, those "extras" only work with
> Windows.  So running a non-Windows OS in VPC is a slower overall
> experience than a Windows one.
>
> VPC also only works for Win2000 and XP.  If you ever want to run an
> earlier version of Windows, you'll be stuck with VPC6 anyway.  (Not
> that I would recommend anyone use anything but Win2k or XP if they  have
> to run Windows in VPC anyway BUT there are some programs which  need
> Win98SE and Microsoft decided to just end support for it.

I have been micro$oft free since '93 and really have no need to walk down that
path.  There really just aren't any applications available that I need under
windows as I don't play many games.  I need a laptop for work.

 From the replies that I have received so far (total), it sounds like VPC 7.0 is
not where I want to be.

I will refine my question again to:

I have Virtual PC 6.0.  Am I better off with 6.0, or (assuming I could find a
copy of 6.1) does VPC 6.1 offer any advantages again for me?

Thanks to everyone for your helpful replies.

Jerry K