[X4U] Re: Virtual PC question

Lists lists at tntluoma.com
Mon Dec 19 14:43:43 PST 2005

On Dec 18, 2005, at 12:47 PM, Jerry K wrote:

> As I am going to get a new system with a PowerPC chip, I believe
> that Virtual PC is my "Plan B" to have a laptop that I can share
> between Mac OS X and Solaris 10 x86.

Ugh.  It'd be better to buy a cheap laptop off eBay for Solaris.

> My question is, is there anyone already doing this that can provide
> any hints or helpful tips?  I already own an old copy of Virtual PC
> 6.x that I never really used.  Should I try to use this, or will I
> be better off with the new Virtual PC 7.x from micro$oft???

AFAICT there was very little in VirtualPC besides the fact that it
runs on a G5 (which isn't an issue to you with a Powerbook).

My guess is that Solaris would run just as slowly in VPC7 as VPC6.
Most of the speed enhancements (I believe) take place in the "extras"
pack which Microsoft bundles with VirtualPC.

Oh, and as much as this will shock you, those "extras" only work with
Windows.  So running a non-Windows OS in VPC is a slower overall
experience than a Windows one.

VPC also only works for Win2000 and XP.  If you ever want to run an
earlier version of Windows, you'll be stuck with VPC6 anyway.  (Not
that I would recommend anyone use anything but Win2k or XP if they
have to run Windows in VPC anyway BUT there are some programs which
need Win98SE and Microsoft decided to just end support for it.

FWIW

TjL