[X4U] Error code help

Gregg Mastorakos lightpainter at cox.net
Tue Dec 20 21:15:26 PST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Linda" <XPressoBean at mac.com>
To: "A place to discuss Mac OS X for the casual user."
<x4u at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 20, 2005 8:33 PM
Subject: Re: [X4U] Error code help

> I have used DiskWarrior successfully to fix a Keys Out Of Order message on
> G4 dual 800; however, I know that it doesn't work every time. Can you try
> run the software again? Sometimes it helps to alternate, and "pick" at the
> problems one by one.

I'll try it again.

> How did suddenly both disks go bad?

I don't know, disk 1 was wonky but disk 2 was (seemed) fine until I ran Disk
util and DW!?

>Did you have a power surge, or drop the
> computer, or some such?

Nothing that I'm aware of.

> Are you running OS X or OS 9 on these disks? Your G4 is a dual boot; can
> you
> boot in OS 9 successfully? If so, you might be able to back up work from
> Disk 1. You might also be able to run DiskWarrior in OS 9 and get the Keys
> message fixed... and while you're there, you might try Disk First Aid,
> too.

I have 10.3 on the second disk and used it to try to repair disk 1. I can
run the computer fine with 10.3 but can't read these two volumes and or
access software that won't run on 10.3.

> You might also try to download a demo of DataRescue (prosofteng.com) --
> it's
> mostly for disks that have lost their mount point and won't mount, but you
> might have some success getting data off the disks before you throw them
> in
> the dumpster.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.