[X4U] Piano replacement via (wireless) Garageband. M-Audio Keystation 88es.

Jerry Krinock jerry at ieee.org
Wed Dec 21 12:39:24 PST 2005

on 05/12/21 03:34, B. Kuestner at kuestner at macnews.de wrote:

> Now I was thinking of getting reasonably priced equipment for her to
> use a keyboard together with Garageband, a Mac and a stereo. The
> problem here: This very technical setup should feel as natural as
> possible.

If you want to emulate a piano in less space, get a good keyboard with
weighted keys, and a good synthesizer.  But most good keyboards have
synthesizers, a power amplifier and speakers built in and are called
"digital pianos".  They also have MIDI in and out if you want to hook it up
to a Mac someday.

Think about it: This ain't a job for a computer.  How long does it take for
a "natural" piano to boot up?  How "natural" will it feels when your wife
has to fiddle with hardware, software, and loose connector issues before she
plays music?  Putting wireless into the picture would make this an even
bigger mistake.

Jerry Krinock