[X4U] Re: Help needs help

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Tue Dec 27 11:10:13 PST 2005

On 27 Dec 2005, at 17:26, Jim Hurley wrote:

>> On Dec 27, 2005, at 10:17 AM, Jim Hurley wrote:
>>
>> > Unfortunately, I could find no file "com.apple.helpui.plist" file
>> > on my  HD,
>>
>> It's located in your home folder (your_user_name/Library/Preferences/
>> com.apple.helpui.plist).
>

> John,
>
> Yes, that is where I looked.  The closest to com.apple.helpui.pList
> are:
>
>    com.apple.help.plist
>
> and
>
>    com.apple.helpviewer.plist
>
> Nothing else under "com.apple.help....."

Well, the article you were pointed at said:

	1.  	Open your Home > Library > Preferences folder.
	2.  	Trash the following three files, if extant:
	• 	com.apple.help.plist
	• 	com.apple.helpui.plist
	• 	com.apple.helpviewer.plist

"if extant" means if they exist. The article is written to cover more
than one version of OS X, so it means you don't trash them if they
don't exist.

Additionally, where it says:
	3.  	Open your Home > Library > Caches folder.
	4.  	Trash the com.apple.helpui folder.

I'd trash anything in that folder beginning with "com.apple.help"
before emptying the trash & trying Help again.

Stroller.