[X4U] burning audio CD

Chris Beamis beamis at drizzle.com
Wed Dec 28 17:59:44 PST 2005

On Wednesday, Dec 28, 2005, at 17:36 US/Pacific, Michael Peterson wrote:

> On Dec 28, 2005, at 6:32 PM, Chris Beamis wrote:
>
>> iTunes preferences, then try burning again."  So I click OK then
>> checked the burning pane in ITunes preferences.  I clicked on
>> ITunes:Preferences:Advanced:Burning.  It says Preferred speed is
>> maximum possible, which I already knew since I've always left it
>> there.  I've never had trouble before and nothing has changed
>> except for routine software updates.  The CD says imation 10X-24X
>> CD-RW 74MIN/650MB.  The playlist I'm trying to burn says 402.7MB.
>> I've tried setting the speed preference lower and tried different
>> CDs, all with the same result.
>>
>> What went wrong?  Should I shell out for the latest OS?
>
> IMO going to Tiger isn't going to help because it doesn't sound like a
> software issue.
>
> You are not clear with your statement as to whether the different CDs
> are different CDs from the same batch of CDs or whether they are a
> different brand, etc.  I've run into instances where a whole batch of
> CDs that I had bought acted up for whatever reason.

Interesting.  These CDs are the same brand and model, and I think
different batch but I don't know that.

> Also you mention that you reduced the speed, but how far down did you
> go?  Did you try 10x?

See the other reply, I tried 12x and maybe lower, no difference.  Plus
the
maximum possible has always worked in the past.  It behaves weirdly,
too,
it says it's burning the first song for a looooong time, then finally
barfs.

> Have you tried cleaning the drive?  (There are a bunch of different
> cleaners out there)

Never even thought of it, but it seems worth a try.  Any
recommendations?

Thanks,
Chris