[X4U] Upgrading HD - Applecare

Linda XPressoBean at mac.com
Fri Dec 30 14:50:45 PST 2005

On 12/30/05 4:20 PM, Samantha Cornell wrote:

> Do I need to resign myself to paying $$$ to have a new HD installed,
> or can I some how do it myself without voiding my Applecare.  I'd
> love a loophole.

I'd call and ask them specifically.

Here's the thing: A hard disk (on most Macs) is a user-serviceable part.
When my hard disk was replaced under AppleCare (G4 Quicksilver 800MP), Apple
shipped it to me, I made the swap and returned the original disk to them.
The new drive, because it was supplied by Apple, was covered for the
remainder of my AppleCare. Of course, a new disk supplied by you would not
be covered by AppleCare at all.

I had previously taken out all the original RAM (256MB) and replaced it with
3 512MB sticks. Didn't void my AppleCare. I swapped the keyboard and mouse
to ones more to my liking, and that didn't void my AppleCare either. I added
a second video card and a SCSI PCI card, without affecting my AppleCare
coverage.

BUT when the time comes to make a call to AppleCare, the first thing they'll
ask is for you to put the computer back to its original state, and test to
see if your problem persists. I had to swap back the original RAM, take out
the video and PCI SCSI card, and hook up the original keyboard and mouse
(and disconnect all other non-factory peripherals -- hard disks, USB hubs,
etc.). I do not know if they would suggest you do this with your internal
hard disk too, but they might, so, I would call them and ask their official
policy.

peace,
Linda